Tuesday, April 16, 2013

#39: Little Things

A Louis Tomlinson and Eleanor Calder song-shot


~ ~ ~

Eleanor gently closes her door to her flat before twisting the lock and hung her jacket on the rack with a sigh. Her senior year in college has been a major pain in the ass. From her end of the year paper that was due by next week, to the upcoming "election" battle for her politics class, Eleanor hardly ever went out to have fun. She was either in her school doing some extra study or she's just in her flat...still studying. Her friends had been encouraging her to go out but Eleanor always refuses.

And then there's Louis Tomlinson and the lads.

Eleanor couldn't quite put a finger on it but she just always finds her blood boiling with just a sight of his hair. She didn't know it if was because of his overwhelming sassiness, or the way he thickens up his accent even more every time he talks to her. Eleanor feels like she hears fingernails scratching a board every time the lad opens his mouth to speak. Or maybe it was the fact that he thinks she's no fun that Eleanor is willing to use all her willpower to prove to Louis that she can be a carefree lass as well.

This weekend, Eleanor decided, will be the downfall of one Louis Tomlinson once she gets to prove to him that she's fun, and had always been fun. Just never had the chance to show it.


Reaching for her purse that she placed on the kidney-shaped coffee table, Eleanor decided to ring her friends to come over because of her said "mission" for the weekend. Scrolling through her massive contact list, she decided to start with her friend Danielle Peazer. But even before she could hit the green phone button, her doorbell rang.

The brunette beauty rolled her eyes as she let a groan escape before answering the door. She peeked through the peephole and noticed that no one was outside. Eleanor's features scrunched up in confusion. Thinking that it might be the boots she ordered online, she opened the door anyway.

For the second time, there was no package...or any sign of who could've rung her doorbell. Eleanor was about to close her door to proceed inviting some friends over, when Louis Tomlinson suddenly jumped out from behind the bush completely surprising the brunette.

"Louis!" Eleanor shrieked. "How dare you do that? I thought I was gonna be attacked or something."

Louis let out a guffaw causing for his right arm to absently wrap itself around his soon-to-be aching stomach. "Relax, El. Why you gotta be so waspish?" He questioned.

Eleanor's eyes grew wide and her mouth hung open in disbelief. "I am not waspish!" She yelled before slamming her door shut, but failed due to Louis preventing it from completely closing with his hand and foot.

"Come on, Eleanor. Don't be so angry." He pleaded.

"What do you want anyway?" The brunette asked. "A better question: what are you doing here?"

Louis allowed himself in to Eleanor's flat. To his surprise, she didn't object. "I figured you're gonna be alone so I asked the lads to come with me." He answered.

"The lads? You mean--"

"Hello Eleanor!" Suddenly, four other boys came barging in the room with huge goofy smiles plastered on their faces. Eleanor couldn't help but flash a small smile at Liam who stood behind everyone, his cheeks turning into a slight shade of pink.

Her features suddenly transitioned from a soft and friendly expression into complete anger. "What is it you're planning now, Tommo?" She gritted through her perfectly aligned teeth.

Louis tilted his chin upwards and flashed a smile. He crosses his arms over his chest. "Ahhh...nicknames. The start of a great relationship, don't you think?" He teased.

"Shut it, Tommo."

"There it is again."

Eleanor mentally slapped herself for letting the hideous nickname slip out of her mouth. I wasn't supposed to say that, she thought. In an attempt to avoid any further insults, she escaped to the kitchen.

"Anyway," Louis started, not planning to break any conversation with the brunette. "Like I said, I thought you're gonna be alone so I brought the lads with me to keep you company."

Eleanor turned away from her cupboards to look at Louis, who is now leaning against the granite countertop. "Well, I suggest you 'scram off' because I recall you mentioning that I don't know how to have fun, so why bother spending your precious weekend with someone boring?"

Once again, Louis let out a laugh. "Aw, come on. It was meant to be a joke."

"I didn't take it that way." Eleanor muttered.

After Eleanor had mentioned that, Louis didn't know what to respond with. He was planning to give her a witty comeback that would leave the gorgeous brunette speechless, but it turned out to be the other way around.

To end their awkward silence, Liam stepped in holding up a couple of DVDs. "Hey, how about a Toy Story marathon?" He suggested.

Eleanor's eyes flickered away from Louis and landed right into Liam's. "I'd love that." She commented before grabbing some crisps and joined the lads in her living room.

~ ~ ~

"You lads aren't gonna leave me alone, aren't you?" Eleanor interrogated after the third Toy Story movie was over. She was standing in front of her telly with her hands on her slim waist.

The five boys shook their heads in response.

"Not. A. Chance." Louis said.

"If your intention in coming over was to keep me company, you can leave now. Besides, I was going to invite my friends anyway." Eleanor informed.

"Why so?" Louis asked.

"Does it really matter, Tommo?" Why am I always slipping? Eleanor thought to her as she bit down on her lower lip to stop her from taking it back, because doing so would only make her obvious.

"I take it you like calling me that, Calder." Louis teased.

Eleanor narrowed her eyes as her jaw started tightening. If it can happen in real life, Louis thinks Eleanor already has smoke coming out of her ears.

Sensing the augmenting tension between the two, Zayn finally stood up from his spot on the couch and placed himself between Louis and Eleanor. "A nice bonfire outside sounds so pleasant to me. What do you think?" Zayn said as he wrapped his arms around the two. He glanced to his left: "Louis?" Then to his right: "Eleanor?"

"Like I have a choice." Eleanor mumbled before stepping away from Zayn's arms.

~ ~ ~

The bonfire hadn't even been set up yet so Eleanor felt chills down her spine as soon as a small breeze flew by. She wrapped her arms around her tiny frame as she rubbed them up and down in a steady pace.

"You look cold." A voice came out from behind her.

Eleanor turned around to see who it was and smiled when she realized it was only Liam. "Yeah, they're taking way too long." She answered.

"Here," Liam said as he started to remove his hooded sweatshirt and handed it to Eleanor. "Wear this."

"But you're gonna get cold." Eleanor commented.

Liam shook his head. "I won't mind."

Eleanor gave him a small smile. "Thank you."

"I'm sorry about the lads. Harry and Niall are having a competition in which I don't know what is and they don't want to enlist Louis's survival skills. So yeah, they're taking too much time." Liam explained.

Eleanor just had to laugh at what Liam had told her. Even though they weren't that close, she knew for a fact that Harry and Niall loves to challenge each other. Hence the commotion that always happens on school grounds.

"Liam! I need your help!" Louis called from Eleanor's flat.

"Well, I guess the Tommo--" Eleanor rolled her eyes with a smile. "--Needs help." Liam said and then to Louis: "I'm coming!"

Eleanor watched as Liam scrambled off to help Louis inside.

"Are you two done yet?" She asked Harry and Niall, who were still having major problems with the bonfire.

"Almost there, El."

~ ~ ~

After Liam and Louis had finished whatever they were doing inside, Harry and Niall are still not yet done with the bonfire.

"You two are unbelievable!" Zayn exclaimed from behind the huge cloud of smoke produced by the grill. "I mean, what's so hard about starting a bonfire?"

As soon as Zayn finished his sentence, Harry and Niall's protests filled the atmosphere. They suddenly sounded like two bickering teenage girls. They went on like that for a minute until Louis raised his arms up to stop his friends.

"Stop! Harry and Niall, just help Zayn with the grill and I'll handle the bonfire." Louis announced.

Eleanor watched Louis carefully. As hard as she try to deny to herself, she was kind of impressed with his skills. She wouldn't actually consider it as a skill since anyone can start a bonfire with ease. But still...she couldn't help but let a smile appear on her face because of it.

"What are you smiling about?" A thick Irish accent suddenly filled Eleanor's ears.

She glanced to her right as soon as she felt Niall settle down on a chair beside her. "What are you talking about? I wasn't smiling." Eleanor denied.

Niall purposely bumped his shoulder against Eleanor's. "Admit it. You're smiling because of Louis, am I right?" Niall teased as they both continuously watched Louis starting the fire.

The brunette let out a sigh before turning to look at the blond beside her. "Okay, I admit. I can't believe I'm saying this but...I'm somehow impressed."

Niall chuckled. "You know what? I always remember my brother and his wife every time I see you and Louis together." He muttered.

"How come?"

"Because this was how they were back in their days. My brother was a show off, always trying to impress her with his talents and skills. While his wife acted just like you. She pretended she wasn't impressed at all, but on the inside she really was." Niall explained.

Eleanor and Niall caught sight of Louis looking at them. She was pretty sure she can see Louis glaring at Niall but he seemed oblivious to it as he gave the brunette a wave, in which Louis returned with a small faux smile.

"I wouldn't say Louis is being a show off. I mean, I can tell that he doesn't like me." Eleanor tried to hide the sadness in her tone but only half-succeeded.

Why am I acting this way? Or feeling this way? She thought.

Niall let out a booming laugh that all the boys turned to look at their direction. "Oh Eleanor, if you only know." He mumbled under his breath, hoping Eleanor wouldn't hear it.

Unfortunately, she did.

"If I only know what?" She questioned.

Shoot, Niall thought.

Noticing that Niall hasn't spoken for almost two minutes, Eleanor sensed the Irish wouldn't be giving out any further details. And so, the persuading began. "Come on Niall, just tell me."

Niall knew he couldn't resist the brunette so he might as well just finish what he had started. He glanced around to check if he was in a safe distance from the lads. He leaned closer to Eleanor but kept a safe space so the boys wouldn't get suspicious.

"I promised I wouldn't say anything but since you are so good at persuading, I guess it's your turn to keep quiet." Niall stared. "Okay, here's the real deal--"

"Just get to the point, Niall!"

"I was getting into it before you decided to interrupt."

"Okay. I'm sorry. Go on."

"Louis told me that before our senior year ends, he'll make sure that...hey, can you grab me some of those crisps?" Niall said.

"Yeah, sure." Eleanor answered as she leaned sideways to reach for a bag. She handed it to Niall.

After exactly fifteen seconds, a thought crossed Eleanor's mind. She playfully hit Niall's arm. "Hey, you're trying to get away from our conversation! You thought I was gonna forget it that easily." She complained. "Just tell me, Niall."

"Fine." Niall sat up straighter. "He'll make sure that he will always try to impress you so that before this school year ends, he'll have you as his girlfriend before somebody else does."

Eleanor's jaw dropped. She wasn't expecting those to come out of Niall's mouth. She was expecting something like an insult or probably a prank Louis had been scheming for a year for her. But no, it wasn't all that. It wasn't even close.

Despite all the new information that clouded up her mind, one line stood out for her. Before somebody else does. Eleanor wondered who it could be.

Seeing that Eleanor was deep in thought, Niall took the opportunity to escape. But even before he could do so, he felt a hand on his wrist and he was soon being pulled back down to his seat.

"Wait. Who is this 'somebody else' Louis's referring to?" Eleanor interrogated.

"I feel like I'm betraying the lads by giving it all away." Niall muttered.

"You already are, the moment you started talking to me about Tommo." Eleanor replied. "Don't you dare say something about it." She scolded as she noticed that the blond was going to comment.

"Do you really want to know?" Niall asked.

"I do." Eleanor replied. "Wait. Does Louis know who it is?"

Niall shook his head. "But he knows somebody else likes you. I mean he knows somebody else from the five of us likes you. You know, other than him."

"Do you know who he is?" Eleanor asked.

"As a matter of fact, I do."

"Who is it?"

Niall shook his finger. "You ain't getting it that easy, young lady." He said.

"But--"

"You have to find out yourself."

"At least give me a clue!" Eleanor demanded.

"Okay. Here's one: he is closer than you think." Niall patted her knee before standing up. "Tell me if you have it figured out." With that, he walked away leaving the brunette deep in thought.

~ ~ ~

Eleanor hasn't moved from where she's sat for minutes now. After Niall had given her a clue that is as confusing as a labyrinth, she just couldn't comprehend the meaning of it. Sighing, she gave up. She just couldn't figure it out.

"Niall!" Eleanor called.

"He's in the kitchen." Harry informed her, as he happened to walk by.

"Oh, thanks." She stepped into her flat and immediately headed for the kitchen. She ran up to him as soon as she caught sight of the blond.

Niall smirked as she finally reached him. "Have it all figured out, El?" He asked.

Eleanor shook her head. "No. I've been thinking about it for a long time. I mean, aside from Louis because I already know that he likes me, there are only three of you that are single. I thought it was gonna be easy but...I guess I was wrong." She explained.

"Here's another clue--"

"Please let it be easy." Eleanor practically begged.

"Oh, it is so easy you're gonna get it right the first time you guess."

"Okay."

"Clue number two: you are actually wearing his jacket right now." Niall hinted.

Five seconds. Five seconds was all it took for Eleanor to realize who it was.

"Liam."

~ ~ ~

The same time Niall and Eleanor were having their conversation inside; Louis had finished making a s'more for Eleanor. He was grinning from ear to ear as he carefully walked towards where she's say, trying not to drop the two-layered s'more. But his smile faltered once he saw she wasn't there.

"Where's El?" He questioned.

"I think I saw her going inside." Zayn answered, shoving a mouthful of s'more.

Louis nodded at him before walking towards the sliding door that led to the inside of her flat. As soon as he entered, he realized that Niall and Eleanor were having a tête-à-tête. He tried to make out some of the words but hopelessly failing for the two were half-whispering to each other.

And then Niall bombarded her with that question.

Louis was planning to leave his spot but as soon as Niall had asked her the question, he found himself crouching down to hide from them as he eagerly awaited Eleanor's answer.

~ ~ ~

"With all honesty, answer this question for me Eleanor." Niall said.

"I can't promise." She simply stated.

Ignoring her response, Niall proceeded with his question. "If you were to choose between Louis and Liam, who would it be?"

A deafening silence followed after.

~ ~ ~

Louis's fingers were crossed as his ears were itching, begging to hear Eleanor's reply. But all that there was is silence. Thinking that she wouldn't even answer the "moment of truth" question, Louis went out of his hiding spot only to hear Eleanor's voice.

~ ~ ~

"Wellllll..." Eleanor started, holding out the L.

"Well?" Niall asked.

"Honestly, I don't feel anything towards Liam. I only see him as a brotherly figure and I just don't want to break his heart..." Eleanor responded. "I...I don't know, Niall. I don't think I can give you an appropriate answer."

Niall gently slammed his hands against the countertop with a huge grin on his face. "But you just did!"

"What?"

"By saying that you only see Liam as a brother, you just chose Louis over him!" Niall exclaimed delightedly.

Eleanor started shaking her head in defense. "No, no. I didn't mean it that way." She explained.

"Come on now, Eleanor. There's no denying it now." Niall said.

"Even if it's true, I can't. I mean I can't...go out with him." Eleanor blurted out.

"Why?" Niall asked in complete confusion.

Eleanor stared at him for a long time before looking away. "I...I better ring Danielle and ask her to come over." She said before making her way to the living room where she left her phone a while ago.

~ ~ ~

Eleanor came back out to her backyard with Danielle following closely behind. She noticed all the boys were seated in a circle around the fire.

"Hey, I want you all to meet my best friend, Danielle. I know some of you have probably already met her, but I believe Mr. Payne haven't yet." Eleanor said, obviously hinting on something.

It didn't take long for Niall and Danielle to catch on.

"I know what you're trying to do, El." Danielle whispered before walking over to Liam and introducing herself.

Eleanor let out a sigh of contentment as she sat between Harry and Zayn and across from Louis. She caught him with a flirtatious smile and Eleanor pretended she was disgusted by it.

Niall was right. We really are like his brother and his wife, Eleanor thought.

Suddenly, a strumming of a guitar was heard and all the lads grew excited.

"Little Things, yeah?" Niall suggested.

Receiving everyone's approval, he went on and played the first chords of the song.

"Your hand fits in mine like it's made just for me. But bear this in mind it was meant to be..." Zayn sang.

It was a song Eleanor hasn't heard of yet. She figured it might be an original composition of the lads. With their soothing voices, Eleanor leaned back on her chair as he shuts her eyes closed.

"I'm in love with you, and all these little things..."

She opened her eyes only to find them locked with Louis's.

"You can't go to bed without a cup of tea. Maybe that's the reason that you talk in your sleep. And all those conversations are the secrets that I keep though it makes no sense to me..." Louis sang. Throughout his verse, he managed to keep Eleanor's focus on him only. She never turned away and he was happy for that.

As for Eleanor, she thought the song was so cheesy and romantic at the same time. Never has it ever crossed her mind that boys like them would sing a song like this. But then again, these lads can be unpredictable. You'll never know what you're in for next.

"You'll never love yourself half as much as I love you..." Eleanor listened as Niall started his part.

From there on, the song was mellifluously sung.

~ ~ ~

Eleanor wouldn't admit it but she actually had fun. The moment Louis sprung out from behind the bush, she thought that this weekend might just be the worst of the worst.

But it was always the other way around.

As her friend Danielle waved goodbye to her and had ended up climbing into Liam's car, Eleanor noticed Louis walking back to her.

"Hey." Louis greeted, shoving his hands in his pockets.

"Hey."

"I was wrong about you. You were actually the opposite of what I thought you were."

She reached out to ruffle his hair. "Same here, Tommo. Same here."

No comments:

Post a Comment