Sunday, July 22, 2012

#1: I Will Always Love You

A Colton Dixon and Jessica Sanchez song-shot


~ ~~

"Stop there for a moment." Jessica Sanchez instructed her cab driver as soon as the city's mini-theatre came into her sight.

A river of memories came streaming by immediately. It was where she would always go whenever she felt like singing or sometimes when she's lonely. It's where she first starred as the female lead role in a musical. She could go on and on but the best part about that mini-theatre was it's the place where she first laid eyes on him and fell in love faster even before she could say it.



* * *

"I'm sorry to break the news but our male lead role, Phillip Phillips broke his leg and wouldn't be able to walk for months." The director announced. "I'm sorry Jessica."


There were a lot of "aw's" and "too bad's."


"But..." the director said with a smile, "that doesn't mean that the show is discontinued. Just three hours after that devastating new about Phillip, someone generously auditioned for the male lead role."


"Who is it?" Elise Testone, one of the musicale's cast, asked.


"Please welcome, Colton Dixon!" the director announced.


Suddenly, a tall skinny guy with blond, spiky hair came walking down the theater's aisle. Jessica turned her head around and felt her heart fluttering and the corners of her mouth twitching into a smile.






* * *

"Here's your fare. I'll just call another cab. I might take a while." Jessica said as she handed her cab driver a couple of bucks. "Keep the change." She added.

She exited the cab and stared at the structure of the mini-theatre. It was just like those in Broadway but this one is a mini-version.

Jessica sighed. She didn't care if she's going to miss her flight. She'd rather spend her whole day in this theatre than going through a lot of x-rays in the airport and boarding a plane and experiencing a terrible case of jet lag afterwards.

She finally made her way inside the theatre. It was empty, of course. No one's in rehearsal since the latest musical just finished its last show last night, which was also the last show she's ever attended in that city.

Jessica made her way the aisle and into the stage. She stopped when she reached the middle and was surprised to see a single spotlight shining down on her. She craned her neck to the side, thinking that there shouldn't even be a single light turned on. Shrugging it off, she dropped her bag on the floor and suddenly felt like singing.


If I
Should stay
I would only be in your way

"Okay Jessica, like we practiced with Phillip. Every time you see him, you feel very passionate, your whole body getting tingly. There are sparks around you, butterflies in your stomach..." the director said.

Jessica nodded. She positioned herself on her scene five spot and eyed Colton from across the stage.

"Remember Jessica," the director said through the megaphone. "This is the first time you saw him after being apart for ten years!" he added.

Jessica nodded once again. With one last glance at the man standing from the other end of the stage, she took a deep breath; ready to deliver her last line for that scene.

"And action!"

"Michael!" Jessica shouted as she ran across the stage and into the arms of the love of her life that her character hasn't seen for ten years.

"Elizabeth!" he called.

Meeting the dark-haired girl halfway, his hands quickly found its way to her waist whilst her hands found his neck immediately. As she would always admit, as soon as their lips connected in a passionate kiss, Jessica's stomach never fails to deliver butterflies. The director was right (even though he has no idea about it), Jessica did feel sparks fly around them as they continue to kiss.

Sadly, it has to end.

"And cut! Colton, Jessica, that was marvelous!" The director commented. "Now, let's do it again."

So I'll go
But I know
I'll think of you
In every step of the way

They were sitting on a comfortable couch Colton has in his dressing room at the mini-theatre. They were both early for rehearsals and decided to spend their time together. Colton was holding a tub of chocolate ice cream as Jessica was holding a spoon. They were like that for hours already. Just talking about their lives, trying to get to know more about each other.

They were practically sharing the ice cream, moments before Jessica's spoon fell of the ground. She was about to pick it up and just brush off a little dirt since it has only been on the ground for like two seconds, when Colton stopped her.

"No, don't use that anymore." He said.

"Why?" She asked. "My mom used to tell me as long as it did not go longer than five seconds, it is still safe."

"It just fell so it's all dirty already." He replied.

"Okay. I'll just grab another one then." Jessica said as she stood up from the couch.

But Colton stopped her once again.

"No." He said. "Here, you can use mine. We can share."

"No, no. I am not sharing a spoon with you."

Colton just gave her a look. "Come on Jessica, please." He begged.

Jessica finally gave in as soon as Colton showed his child-like pout and adorable puppy dog eyes. She always knew he has this effect on her.

"Fine."

Colton handed her his spoon and watched as Jessica scooped the ice cream. "Mmm," she moaned as the rich chocolaty taste invaded her taste buds. She caught sight of Colton smirking down at her.

"What?" she asked, feeling her face for any signs of ice cream smudges. "Do I have something on my face?"

Colton shook his head. "Do you know what people say?"

"What?"

"Like if you're sipping from the same glass or cup, even straws; or when you're sharing a spoon with someone, it's almost the same as kissing." Colton said smiling.

Jessica froze. "What do you mean?" she asked.

"With you using the same spoon I'm using, it almost seem like you're kissing me." Colton replied.

Jessica shoved the spoon in Colton's hand and wiped her mouth - lips and tongue - whilst Colton was clutching his aching sides caused by his hysterics.

"Come on now, Jessica. It's not like we haven't kissed before." He said. "And I believe we've done it a lot of times already. I think I've lost count."

And I will always love you
I will always love you
You
My darling you
Mmm-mm

"So what's the real score?" Hollie Cavanagh, one of Jessica's best friends alongside Skylar Laine, Elise Testone and Erika Van Pelt, questioned the dark-haired girl one time they were seated at a cozy cafe place.

"What are you talking about, Hollie?" Jessica asked.

"Oh dear, you know exactly what - or should I say, whom - we're talking about." Elise said.

"I really don't understand." Jessica said.

"Come on girls, spill it!" To Jessica's rescue, Erika Van Pelt butted in.

"Ever since the heartthrob Phillip Phillips broke his leg, you and that Colton guy seemed to hit it off. What's really going on?" Elise asked.

"Me? And Colton? Nothing is going on." Jessica said as she lifted her cup to take a sip. "We're just friends."

Hollie snickered. "Of course, you're just friends." She sarcastically muttered.

"Friends? Really? Then what about the kiss that takes about five to six takes every day? I'm not blind to not see how much passion you guys put into the kiss. It's even more than what the director are asking." Skylar said.

"Guys..." Jessica said, setting her cup of coffee on the marble table. "We're just doing what the director wants us to do."

"Really? Because it doesn't seem like it to me. It's as if the kiss isn't any of your 'job' anymore." Erika suddenly spoke, putting air-quotes for added effects.

"Oh, so now you're on their side?" Jessica teased Erika.

"I really think you should open your eyes sometimes, dear. There are things that you cannot see that others can." Hollie said as she lifted her cup of coffee and took a leisure sip.

Bittersweet memories
That is all I'm taking with me
So goodbye
Please don't cry
We both know I'm not what you,
You need

Jessica closed the door to her and Colton's shared apartment. She leaned on the door and slowly sunk to the floor, her eyes staring into nothingness whilst her thoughts were as deep as the ocean. Just this morning, her mom called informing her about her father's deployment to Singapore. Sure, she was used to her father going all around the world from time to time but this was new to her. Before, it was only Jessica's dad who has to leave, but this time, they actually have to come with him...for good.

And it only means one thing: she'll leave Colton behind.

Suddenly, footsteps were heard coming from the kitchen. "Jessica, is that you?" Colton asked as he walked towards their front door. As soon as he saw Jessica slumped on the floor, trying to control her sobs, he rushed over to her and cradled her in his arms.

"Shh," he whispered. "Tell me, what's wrong?"

"I...I have to leave, Colton." Jessica said.

"What do you mean 'leave'?" Colton questioned in confusion. "Are you leaving the apartment or the musical?"

"My dad's deployed to Singapore. And this time, we have to come with him." Jessica informed.

And I will always love
I will always love
You, ooh

The saxophone solo played in her mind. But in the middle of it, it seemed like her sobs became the saxophone solo. Throughout the half of the song, she'd been holding herself back, trying to keep herself from crying. But she didn't. The heartache was just too much to handle. Jessica plopped down on her knees as her sobbing hardens.

If only she could stay.

But she can't.

Because she has to leave...and it's all because of him...and her.

I hope
Life treats you kind
And I hope
You have all you've dreamed of

"What?" Colton exclaimed.

"I have to come with them, Colton. They're my family." Jessica said.

Colton doesn't want to sound selfish but he couldn't restrain himself from asking her that question. "But how about me?"

"That's the problem! I want to go with my father but at the same time, I don't want to leave you. I just can't!" Jessica replied.

"Jessica..."

"Maybe a long distance relationship would work out, right?" Jessica asked.

"Jessica..."

"I don't know how long I'll be staying there but I promise, I'll be coming back for you."

"Jessica..."

"Colton, this is the only option that I could think of to keep our relation--"

"I can't manage a long distance relationship!" Colton interrupted.

Jessica was frozen for a moment. "What?" she asked.

"I don't know if I can manage a long distance relationship." Colton responded.

"Why? Colton, if we want to keep this relationship going, then a long distance relationship is our only option here." Jessica said. "And in that case, we don't have to break up."

"I-I don't know."

"Colton..."

"Jessica, if this is not going to work, then we might as well--"

"Break up?" Jessica finished as tears started pooling in her eyes. "Are you saying that we should break up? Just because you can't handle a long distance relationship?"

"I guess that's what I'm trying to say." Colton said.

And I wish you joy and happiness
But above all this
I wish you love

Colton woke up that morning feeling like there's something he should do that day. He sat there in his bed for a good five minutes trying to contemplate what it was. A single text message made him remember.

"Colton, I don't know if you're already awake or not but today's the day! Jessica's going to leave! You better get your butt off of your bed and chase her and tell her about your decision" - Skylar

Colton didn't even bother texting back, nor take a shower and eat breakfast. He stumbled his way to his closet and pulled out a pair of dark jeans and a plain black shirt and quickly slipped it on. Since he doesn't have that much time, he just hid his undone hair in a beanie. He grabbed his keys on his way out and locked his apartment door as quickly as he can.

Yesterday, he bumped into all of Jessica's best friends from the musical they had together. They invited him to sit and have a chat.

"So, what's up?" Erika asked.

"Jessica and I are over. We broke up." Colton said.

Skylar spitted out her coffee in surprise. "What? But you two are endgame!" she exclaimed.

"I guess that long distance relationship isn't really for us." Colton replied. "But I really love her and I don't want to let her go. I can't live everyday knowing she can be anyone else's in any moment. Now that I'm saying this out loud, I feel stupid."

"Wait. Did she suggested the long distance relationship?" Elise asked.

Colton nodded. 

"Then consider her offer! She's thinking of a way to keep your relationship going. Colton, agree with her!" Elise said.

"I know that I should at least try. The only reason why I never agreed with her is I've never been in a long distance relationship before. I don't know how it's going to work." Colton said.

"We'll be with you throughout. Besides, Jessica's our best friend. We'll miss her as much as you do. It'll also make her happy seeing her best friends and her boyfriend getting along. That scenario never happens often." Hollie said.

"What should I do?" Colton asked.

And that is why Colton Dixon is speeding his way to the airport, hoping to catch Jessica and stop her and tell her that he agrees with the long distance relationship before it's too late.

He reached for his phone and dialed Hollie's number. Yesterday, the petite blond told Colton that she'll be the one at the airport to see Jessica for the last time since Elise, Erika and Skylar are busy and don't have that much time to go and say goodbye to Jessica (thought they already did the day before).

"Hello?" Hollie said.

"Hollie, what time is Jessica's flight?" Colton asked.

"She was supposed to be here an hour ago. Colton, she's going to miss her flight!" Hollie panicked. "And I don't know where she is!"

"Don't panic, Hollie. Calm down. I know exactly where to find her." Colton said.

"Good. She better be here right now. She's going to miss her flight." Hollie said.

"Okay, I'll hang up now. Bye Hollie."

"Bye."

As soon as Colton hung up, he made a legal U-turn and headed towards the direction to the theatre. He was certain he would find Jessica there. She always goes to that place whenever she's sad. It was like her safe haven.

Minutes after, he stopped at the entrance of the theatre and immediately headed inside. Colton made his way to the center aisle leading up to the stage. Sure enough, there was Jessica standing in the middle of the stage with a single spotlight shining down on her, accentuating more of her beauty even though she was relatively bawling her eyes out and must have looked like a total disaster.

Colton decided to keep himself under the darkness, trying not to interrupt Jessica. He wanted to just run up to her and hug her and tell her about his decision but there was something about that moment Jessica was having on stage that made Colton want it to last longer. Maybe it was the fact that Jessica's staying out there too long and will definitely miss her flight to Singapore; or the fact that Colton are having these feelings that after she finishes her song, something good will happen. Colton preferred the second one, so he stayed shaded.

And I will always
I will always
And I will always love you
I will always love you

I, I will always love you
You, darling I love you
I will always
I will always
Love you
Oooh, ooohhh

"I love you, Colton." Jessica whispered as she finishes the song.

Jessica may have only whispered it but Colton was able to hear it, considering the fact that they are the only ones inside and Jessica's voice echoed all around the theatre.

"I love you too, Jessica Elizabeth Sanchez." Colton said as he walked down the aisle leading to the stage.

Jessica's head shot up and she saw Colton. "W-what are you doing here?" she asked.

"Hollie called and told me you were supposed to be at the airport an hour ago, so I looked for you." Colton replied. "You should've heard Hollie's voice. She was close to hyperventilating."

Jessica managed to flash a small smile as she imagined Hollie being in that situation: a small girl hyperventilating in the middle of the airport in panic.

"What are you doing here?" Colton asked this time as he stopped by the stage, glancing up at Jessica.

"I don't even know why I came here in the first place. I guess I don't want to leave yet." Jessica replied with a sigh as she sat down on the edge of the stage, her feet dangling.

"Look, I bumped into your posse yesterday and they told me to do this..." Colton said as he leaned in and captured Jessica's lips with his. He doesn't have to stand on his tiptoes for he is incredibly tall and with Jessica sitting down on the stage, she was just his eye level.

As soon as the kiss broke, Jessica sent Colton a confused look. "What was that for?" she asked, resisting the urge to smile.

"I agree..." he whispered, pressing his forehead on hers.

"Agree to what?"

"Long distance relationship. How far away you are from me, I don't care. How long you'll be staying there, I will wait for your comeback. You want a long distance relationship to keep this romance going, we'll do it. As long as you're mine and not someone else's." Colton said.

Jessica grinned. "Remind me why I fell in love with you again. Wait, don't answer. I think you just did." She said as she leaned in for another kiss.

"Come on, you'll be late for your flight." Colton said as soon as the sweet kiss ended. He took Jessica's hand and helped her get off the stage.

"I think I already missed it. Oh, we also need to make sure Hollie's still...well, Hollie." Jessica said.

Colton laughed. "You were great up there, by the way."

"Aw, thanks. That song was aimed for you." She said.

"I know."

And together, hand-in-hand, they walked out of the theatre carrying with them their never-ending love for one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment