Wednesday, July 25, 2012

#7: I Wish

A Wren Kingston and Spencer Hastings song-shot


~ ~ ~

Melissa asked me to be her date for the Rosewood High School Homecoming Dance and I agreed to go. Besides, Spencer is going to be there so…no problem, Melissa. I’ll be your date.
As Melissa and I walked arm-in-arm inside the venue, I saw Hanna talking to the DJ and it seemed like she requested a certain song because as she walked away, the song changed.
He takes your hand
I die a little
I watch your eyes
And I'm in riddles
Why can't you look at me like that?

I thought the song was kind of cheesy since it’s the kind of song some fourteen-year-olds would listen to. But boy was I wrong. I actually found the song somehow ironic as I finally eyed Spencer amongst the massive crowd.

Melissa detached herself away from me to meet up with some of her old friends. She actually told me that I was free to roam around and socialize with other people.
I was left alone standing there by the entrance when I saw a tall guy who I believe is Toby Cavanaugh, made his way to Spencer. He offered her his hand and I saw the way Spencer’s eyes danced around in happiness as she gladly accepted his hand and together, they swayed to the rhythm of the song.


When you walk by
I try to say it
But then I freeze
And never do it
My tongue gets tied
The words get trapped

I hear the beat of my heart getting louder
Whenever I'm near you

Realizing that I’d been standing at the entrance for way too long now, I made my way over to the refreshments. I grabbed a punch and leaned on the table, secretly searching for her again. Maybe I was looking way too ahead that I haven’t noticed Spencer walking in front of me.

“Spencer…” I unintentionally called her.
She stopped in her tracks and looked back at me. “Wren.” She said with a smile.
“Uh…” I stammered. “I…uh…”
“Wren? Is everything all right?” she asked me.
I nodded. I felt my heart pounding out of my chest as she walks closer to me. “Yeah, just wanted to say you look marvelous tonight. Not that you ever looked so gorgeous before. It’s just that…well, you get the point.”
She laughed. “Yeah. Well, I’ll see you later. Toby’s waiting.” She said. “I’ll see you around.”
I nodded at her.
“Anyway, you look handsome.” She commented.
To be honest, I blushed. “Thanks.”
But I see you with him slow dancing
Tearing me apart cause you don't see
Whenever you kiss him, I'm breaking
Oh how I wish that was me
Really; does this song’s lyrics really have to be the exact same thing that’s happening to me tonight, because when I saw Spencer and Toby slow dancing, I was crumbling, I was shattering, because Spencer can’t see that I still like her. Nothing has changed. I’m still the Wren she liked and she’s still the Spencer I fell in love with.
But I was sure though that one thing has changed: she fell in love with Toby Cavanaugh.
He looks at you the way that I would
Does all the things I know that I could
If only time could just turn back

Cause I got three little words
That I've always been dying to tell you

I watched them being cuddly as ever. Believe me, I’ve never seen Spencer so cheesy before. I always knew she wasn’t that type of girl. But with Toby always looking at her like that, she can be the girlish girl ever in the world.
And then Toby kissed her. Yes, he could do that. But I kissed Spencer before too! I can do that. There is nothing that Toby can do that I can’t do.
Okay, maybe not all. Toby can say those three little words to Spencer while I can’t.
If only I could turn back time. Back to when before I got engaged to Melissa. What I said to Spencer were true, I’ve fallen in love with the wrong sister. I wished I met Spencer first before I met Melissa. If that so, Spencer and I would’ve been together by now. And that guy she was dancing with and kissing, would have been me. And I wasn’t Melissa’s date tonight.

But I see you with him slow dancing
Tearing me apart cause you don't see
Whenever you kiss him, I'm breaking
Oh how I wish that was me
Melissa went up to me and asked if we could dance. I agreed, of course, since she was my date after all. But I insisted we dance near Spencer and Toby.
As the song came on the second chorus, I glanced at Spencer and I saw that she had her eyes closed. And when she opened them, she caught my eyes. I beamed at her and she did too.
With my hands on your waist
While we dance in the moonlight
I wish it was me that you'd call later on
Cause you wanna say goodnight
Spencer went out to catch some air. I decided to join her and maybe have a small chat since we haven’t seen each other for quite a long time. I reasoned that I have to go to the bathroom. First, I went to the direction towards the bathroom so that Melissa won’t get too suspicious. When I made sure I was completely out of her sight, I turned back and made my way out of the venue where Spencer went.
I saw her by this birdcage like dance floor in the middle of the school’s garden. She was leaning on the railing as she gazed up on the beautiful night sky, the moon accentuating more of her beauty.
“Hey.” I called.
Her head snapped towards me and she straightened. “Wren.” She said. “What are you doing here?”
“Wanted to get some air. It’s getting a bit crazy inside.” I reasoned.
She nodded. “Me too.”
There was a pregnant pause after that. But of course, I had to do something to stop the awkwardness between us.
“Can I have this dance?” I asked as I offered her my hand.
“Well, of course you may.” She said in an attempt to fancy it up by saying it with a British accent.
“Your accent’s kinda cute, I must say.” I said.
“Thanks.”
We danced to the song that Hanna requested. The lyrics matched our situation here outside perfectly. My hands are on her waist as we danced in the moonlight.
But of course, everything has to end.
“Spencer.” Toby called.
I detached myself from Spencer and I smiled at her. “Your man’s calling you.” I said.
Spencer smiled sadly at me before running towards Toby. He leaned in and planted a kiss on Spencer’s lips before wrapping his arm around her shoulder and together; they walked back inside the venue.
Cause I see you with him slow dancing
Tearing me apart cause you don't see

But I see you with him slow dancing
Tearing me apart cause you don't see
Whenever you kiss him, I'm breaking
Oh how I wish

Oh how I wish

Oh how I wish that was me
“Oh how I wish, that was me…” I mumbled as I glanced up at the starlit sky, wishing that Spencer were really mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment