Sunday, September 2, 2012

#18: Knock Knock

PJ Duncan and Teddy Duncan song-shot


~ ~ ~

When Teddy was three years old…
“Teddy, you gotta let the dentist check your teeth.” Amy Duncan told her three-year-old daughter, Teddy Duncan.
“Mommy, I’m scared.” Teddy said, wiping her tears with her jacket’s sleeve.
Suddenly, five-year-old PJ Duncan emerged from the dentist’s clinic and walked towards the crying Teddy.
“Don’t be scared. The dentist won’t eat you. She will just have to check your teeth to see if it’s clean or dirty. If it’s dirty, the dentist will ask you to brush your teeth three times a day.” PJ explained as he held up three fingers. “And if it’s clean, the dentist will give you a reward just like me!” he added as he showed Teddy a lollipop.
“Mommy, I want those too!” Teddy said, pointing at the sweet treat.
“You gotta let the dentist check your teeth first.” Amy said as she signaled PJ to hide his lollipop.
“Mommy! I want the dentist to check my teeth.” Teddy said.
“Thank you, sweetie.” Amy told PJ as she planted a kiss on her oldest son’s forehead.
“My pleasure.” PJ replied.




~ ~ ~
When Teddy was seven years old…
“Bob! Teddy’s hurt and she don’t want me to clean her wound. Maybe she wants you.” Amy exclaimed as she went to the kitchen where her husband is.
“Okay, I’ll be there.” Bob replied as he took the first-aid kit from Amy’s hands. He went to the backyard but seconds later, he came back. “Nope, she doesn’t want me as well.”
Amy went outside and saw that Teddy’s wound has worsened. “Teddy, honey, what do you want?” Amy asked worriedly.
“I…I want…P…J!” Teddy replied in between sobs.
“Okay, I’ll go get your brother.” Amy said as she stormed off inside the house and went to get PJ.
“PJ! Come down here!” Amy shouted.
“Yes Mom?” PJ asked as he descended the stairs with a toy car in hand.
“Teddy hurt herself and we’ve been trying to help her but she doesn’t want to. She says she needs you.” Amy explained.
“Where is she?” PJ asked.
“In the backyard.” Amy answered.
“Okay.” PJ said as he made his way towards the backyard. As soon as PJ got to the backyard, he saw Teddy sitting under a tree.
“Teddy, what’s wrong?” PJ asked.
Teddy pointed at her knee and PJ saw she has a big swollen wound on her knee.
“Oh, let me get the first-aid from Mom.” PJ said.
He ran inside the house and got the first-aid kit from Amy and went back to the backyard to clean Teddy’s wound.
“Thanks.” Teddy said. “Only my brother would come here and clean my wound because if he’s not you, he would say: ‘you should’ve just let your parents clean it instead’.” She added.
“I told you, I’m your best friend and your brother.” PJ said. “I’m always here for you Teddy, no matter what.”
~ ~ ~


When Teddy was thirteen years old…
“There he is!” Teddy whispered to PJ as they hid behind the bushes one afternoon, when Teddy opened up to PJ about her crush and she wants to ask him out and as always, PJ is ready to help.
“Where?” PJ asked as he looked around.
“There.” Teddy replied as she points at the guy walking towards them wearing a football varsity jacket.
“Well, he seems…fine to me.” PJ replied.
“Fine? He’s gorgeous. Spencer’s like the hottest guy in our grade! Everybody wants to ask him out.” Teddy said.
PJ sighed. “So, Spencer’s the name, huh?”
“Yup.” Teddy answered.
“Are you sure about this Teddy?” PJ asked.
“I am a hundred percent sure.” She responded. “Now, you go talk to him and tell him all the nicest and coolest stuff about me.” Teddy said as she pushed PJ out of the bushes. “And then ask him to ask me out.”
“Okay, okay.” PJ said as he held both of his arms up and rolled his eyes at his sister.
PJ walked towards the guy that his sister, Teddy is head over heels for.
“Hi, I’m PJ. PJ Duncan.” PJ introduced himself to Spencer.
“Hi.” Spencer replied, not sure what’s happening at the moment, but shook PJ’s hand with a smile.
“Um, I’m Teddy’s brother. You know her right?” PJ asked.
“Yes. Teddy Duncan, right? She’s like the coolest girl ever!” Spencer responded.
“Exactly!” PJ said. “She wants to ask you out, will you go out with her?” he added.
“Of course, tell her I’d be honored to go out with her.” Spencer said smiling.
“I will. Thanks.” PJ said as he bid goodbye to Spencer and went back inside the bushes with Teddy.
“So, how did it go? What did he say?” Teddy asked.
“He said you’re the coolest girl ever and that he’d be honored to go out with you.” PJ answered.
Teddy hugged her brother as soon as PJ told her the news. “Thank you so much, PJ!”
~ ~ ~
When Teddy was fifteen years old…
“I…I don’t know Spencer.” Teddy said as she stood at her porch with her ex-boyfriend.
Spencer plopped down on his knees with his palms facing each other like he’s about to pray. “Please, please Teddy. Take me back. I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to do it.” Spencer begged.           
Teddy took a step backwards. She accidentally glanced to her right and saw PJ watching them from the inside. He ran his hand back and forth across his neck as if he were about to cut his neck.
“Please, Teddy. You’re the only girl that made me feel this way—“
“Spencer stop. You’re making this harder than it already is.” Teddy interrupted as she stepped back once again.
Spencer was about to take a step closer but Teddy stopped him. “Don’t…you dare take a step closer, or else…” Teddy threatened.
“I’d climb the highest mountain. I’d sail across the sea. Teddy, for you I’d do anything. I’d fly to the moon. I’ll paint your gray skies a beautiful blue, just to get one step closer to you.” Spencer said with eyes that pleaded badly.
And that’s when Teddy realized…Spencer is being sincere.
She sighed, gazed down at him, and smiled. “Stand up.” Teddy instructed.
Spencer stood up. “So?”
“You’re forgiven.” Teddy said.
“I’m your boyfriend again?” Spencer asked excitedly.
Teddy nodded. “Yes.”
After moments of celebrating, Spencer went home and Teddy went back inside. She immediately saw PJ running towards her.
“What was that about?” PJ asked.
“Spencer was being sincere and so, I forgave him.” Teddy answered dreamily. “And now we’re back together again.”
“What? After all those bad things he’d done to you, you took him back? I can’t believe you!” PJ exclaimed.
“Why do you even care? Who are you to tell me who I’m supposed to love and not supposed to love?” Teddy said angrily.
“I was just trying to protect you from that guy! Teddy, Spencer is not who you think he is.” PJ said.           
“Oh so he’s a psychopath killer who kills people behind my back? PJ, you’re nuts! I’ve known Spencer since I was thirteen. I know him better than you do!” Teddy snapped.
PJ opened his mouth to say something but stuttered words are what came out. “I-it’s not…like…that.”
“I know you’re just trying to protect me but maybe I’m getting sick of it!” Teddy screamed.
PJ raised an eyebrow and snickered. “So, you’re getting sick of me doing my responsibility as your brother? Fine. You don’t have to worry about me always on your tail, following you wherever you go, because from now on, I won’t bother you anymore! I would no longer be meddling with your life!”
PJ walked out, leaving a stunned Teddy and two shock-stricken parents who had been watching their argument ever since it heated.
~ ~ ~
When Teddy was eighteen years old…
Knock. Knock. Knock.
Three knocks and Teddy knew PJ would know it was she outside his room. She waited but PJ never opened his door. Teddy knocked thrice again and still, no answer.
She sat down on the floor across PJ’s bedroom door and waited for him to open it up. Seconds passed, minutes passed, and an hour passed. No PJ, still. Teddy couldn’t fight it any longer; she broke down and buried her head on her hands as her shoulders started shaking.
Teddy stood up and tried to open PJ’s door just in case it’s unlocked by now. But it wasn’t. PJ always locks his door and never left it unlocked. She sighed as she sat back down on the floor.
“PJ…I need you.” Teddy whispered followed by a sniff.
“Teddy?” a voice called.
Teddy’s head shot up and she saw her brother standing in front of her. She watched as he squatted to meet her eye level.
“What are you doing here?” PJ asked.
Teddy sobbed. “I want my brother.” She replied.
PJ sighed as he pulled Teddy into a warm embrace. She was staining his shirt but he doesn’t care. “Tell me, what happened?” he muttered.
“You…you were right.” Teddy replied.
“Right about what?” PJ asked feeling lost.
“What you said about Spencer three years ago, about how he’s not who I think he is.” Teddy responded.
PJ didn’t even bother responding. He just cradled his fragile little brokenhearted sister in his arms. “Let it all out. It’ll be okay.” He said after a minute of hearing Teddy’s sobs.
Moments later, Teddy lifted her head from PJ’s shoulder and wiped her face with her sleeve. She glanced at PJ and gave him a warm smile. “I regret what I said to you three years ago. I didn’t mean to say that. The truth is, I’m the luckiest girl in the world because I was blessed with the best brother in the world. I’m glad that I always have your back.”
PJ smiled. “I never stopped being your big brother. It’s you who thought I stopped.”
Teddy pressed her lips together. “I’m sorry.”
“Nah, it’s okay. Like I said, I’m always here for you and I’ll always be your brother. And I can’t help but be the best one.”

No comments:

Post a Comment