Monday, November 5, 2012

#25: Beautiful Eyes

A Jason Grace and Piper McLean song-shot

Photo not mine. Credits to owner.


~ ~ ~

She strolled down the grassy path towards her cabin in her usual combat boots. Her hair in two braids letting some choppy brown hair hung loose, framing her face. A simple orange camp shirt and cargo pants were her chosen outfit for the day; her eyes that changes its color every second. Kaleidoscope eyes – as Jason calls them. She remembers him telling her how he struggles trying to find out what her eye color really was. She smiled down at the memory.

Jason and her always have this special bond, a special relationship. She knew they were destined to be the best of friends. She knew from the moment Hera put Jason in that bus making her think he was actually her boyfriend. They were destined to be together. Not romantically.

Or so she thought…

Piper has long accepted the fact that therelationship she had with Jason was just a trick of the Mist. Yes, she once wished it was true. Yes, she once had feelings for Jason but after finding out about Reyna, she banished those thoughts and feelings away. She now only sees Jason as her best friend.

Or so she thought…again.



~ ~ ~

The famous trio – Leo, Piper and Jason – were at Camp Half-Blood’s beach talking, laughing, teasing like the old times. This was always the best part of their days.

Leo was busy making a sand castle for Piper as she watched happily, her kaleidoscope eyes shimmering with excitement. Jason lay on a pink blanket Piper got from her cabin. His eyes shifting from Leo’s sand castle to Piper’s kaleidoscope eyes. He couldn’t stop staring at them. He feels like he can look at those eyes forever and never get bored. Her color-switching eyes are like fireworks exploding in those tiny orbs. He was sure it was a deep shade of blue the last time he looked at them. Now, they were like Percy’s –deep sea green. Just when he thought Percy was the only one who possesses that eye color, Piper’s eyes came to prove him wrong.

He was broken out of his trance by Piper’s unusual Aphrodite squeal. He looked at his two best friends and saw that Leo had showered Piper with sand.

“Leo Valdez, you’ll regret doing that!”

“Oh, what’s Beauty Queen going to do to me?” Leo said, mimicking an Aphrodite girl’s high-pitched voice.

“Watch out Valdez. You better be sleeping with an eye open tonight.” Piper threatened grasping her dagger in her cargo’s pocket, ready to attack Leo in any moment.

Jason couldn’t help but to let out a laugh. He watched as Piper sends Leo deathly glares whilst Leo continued to make his castle. He propped himself up using his elbows and stared at Piper as if his mind was debating whether to ask her for help or not. But he decided to just ask her.

“Piper.” Jason called.

Piper’s kaleidoscope eyes (which was now the shade of brown) met his electrifying blue ones. She crawled beside him and stared out at the ocean in front of them.

“So, why’d you call me?” Piper asked.

“Being an Aphrodite girl, how do you know if two people are meant for each other?”

Piper shrugged her shoulders. “I don’t know. We just sort of…feel it when it’s there.” She answered.

“Your mom being the goddess of love, I know that you’re an expert with it so maybe…” Jason trailed off. He avoided her gaze and sighed. “Maybe you can help me…with Reyna.”

Piper beamed. “Aw, Sparky’s in love.”

Jason gave her a friendly glare.

“Sure, I’d love to help.” Piper said.

~ ~ ~

After Piper had that moment of flashback, she sighed. If only she knew from that day that she will start looking at Jason differently…romantically.

It’s all because of that stupid blue eyes. I love the way how it’s so electrifying like when you look at them, you can see lightning and—

“Piper! Piper!”

Piper’s thoughts were interrupted when she heard someone calling her name. She turned around and grinned when she saw her friend Annabeth, Daughter of Athena, marched her way up to her.

“Hey, Annabeth.”

“So I heard the matchmaker had another job completed, huh?” Annabeth said.

Piper’s eyebrows met in confusion. “Huh? What are you talking about? What matchmaker?” the Daughter of Aphrodite asked.

“Silly, you are the matchmaker. Everyone in camp’s calling you that considering the fact that you’re the reason why the percentage of single demigods are decreasing.” Annabeth explained.

Piper smiled at that. She remembered now. She was the one who got Frank to ask Hazel out finally. She was the reason why Clarisse and Chris got back together. She was also the reason why Annabeth never got jealous of Rachel anymore.

“Oh yeah, I remember.” Piper replied.

“So, what did you do?” Annabeth asked.

“What did I do?”

Annabeth stomped her foot and pulled at her hair. “I want you to spill all the details! What did you do to be able to get Reyna and Jason together?”

After hearing what Annabeth has said, Piper stiffened. She felt another flashback coming.

~ ~ ~

“So, I’ve got roses, chocolates, teddy – what are you doing?”Jason asked as he saw Piper taking all the stuff from his grasp. His eyes widen as Piper popped a chocolate in her mouth.

“What do you think you’re doing? That was for Reyna!” Jason exclaimed.

Piper smirked at him. “Not anymore!”

“WHAT?!”

“Jason, what you’re doing is wrong. Chocolates, roses and teddy bears don’t work for Reyna. They work for me. Reyna wants challenges. Challenge her into a duel and while you’re at it, sneak in a few moves until you pinned her to the ground or corner her and then kiss her.” Piper explained.

“How do you know all the right things to do?” Jason asked in amazement.

Piper shrugged as she popped another sweet treat into her mouth.“Daughter of Aphrodite, Sparky.”

Jason smiled at her. “So, what am I going to do with those?” he asked motioning towards the things he was supposed to give to Reyna.

“I’ll have it. I’ll eat the chocolate, I get my bedside table a new decoration and I got a teddy bear named Sparky.” Piper smiled at him before marching off.

~ ~ ~

Piper noticed a pair of hands waving in front of her face. She blinked once, twice, thrice and then she was back. “Did I just completely zoned out?” she asked her gray-eyed friend.

“Yeah, for ten minutes.” Annabeth replied.“Is something bothering you, Piper?”

Piper tried to smile but Annabeth saw through her façade.

“Piper, you know you can tell me everything right?” Annabeth asked.

Piper nodded. “I know that.”

“Then tell me, is something bothering you?” the Daughter of Athena asked once again.

Piper let out a long exasperated sigh.“Promise me you won’t tell anybody.”

“I promise.”

Piper closed her eyes and told Annabeth everything in one breath: “I think I like Jason.”

“YOU WHAT?!” Annabeth yelled. Piper silenced her by putting a hand on Athena’s favorite daughter’s mouth and dragged her towards the less populated part of camp. Once they were out of earshot, Annabeth gazed at her friend.

“B-but how? I thought you got over him? W-what happened? Piper, I’m dying here! Tell me, what happened? What made you fall in love with him again?”

“Annabeth, you might’ve already known everything by now if only you’d stop bombarding me with questions.” Piper replied.

Annabeth’s face flushed. “I’m sorry. Go on, tell the story…”

Piper sighed. “It all happened just two days ago…”

~ ~ ~

Piper smiled as she watched those lovely couples acting all lovey-dovey on the beach. Thanks to Piper, Chris finally gained Clarisse’s trust again. Oh, don’t get Piper started on how Chris lost the Daughter of Ares’s trust. But now, Clarisse are acting like a child of Aphrodite, drowning in Chris’s overflowing love for her.

Her gaze shifted towards the nearest tree where Clarisse and Chris were. There, up on the tree, was Percy eating a blue cupcake like no one or anything existed around him. Annabeth was at the base of tree obviously yelling at Percy instructing him to come down. Still, Percy continued to munch on his blue cupcake, annoying Annabeth by pretending he’s not hearing any word she’s saying.

Piper beamed. She always knew those two are a very interesting and peculiar couple. Percy is the complete opposite of Annabeth and vice-versa. But still have something in common.

Piper left the couple and watched her latest accomplishment: Hazel Levesque and Frank Zhang. Piper finally encouraged Frank to finally ask Hazel out and tell him how he felt towards her because Frank might not know but Hazel might be feeling the same. And she was right. Next thing Piper knew, they were inseparable. Whether they’re at Camp Jupiter or visiting Camp Half-Blood.

Piper never meant to take her eyes off of Frank and Hazel but it felt like the scene in the camp’s open field was more entertaining than Hazel and Frank. There, in the camp’s open field, was Jason pinning Reyna down, her arms above her head, Jason pinning them onto place. She watched as Reyna sends Jason a confused look while Jason slowly lowered his head. Reyna, puzzled as ever, suddenly understood what Jason was trying to do. She closed her eyes, same as Jason, and Piper watched as the two made contact.

In the middle of Jason and Reyna’s kiss, Piper suddenly felt like someone slapped – punched – her in the face. She felt a tug in her heart. Why she suddenly felt that way, Piper had no idea.

She noticed that the two had already broken apart and was now on their feet. She saw Reyna gave Jason a hug and jogged off to who knows where.

Jason accidentally looked at Piper’s direction and smiled. Piper managed a fake smile and a thumb up as Jason jogged towards her.

“How long have you been standing here and watching us?” Jason asked as soon as he reached Piper and flunked down on the grass beside her.

Piper shrugged. “I don’t know. You two seem like a good entertainment.”

Jason chuckled. He stared at her as she looks everywhere except his face. He doesn’t know if Piper was trying hard not to look at him or Piper just got tired of looking at his face. Maybe it’s one of the two or maybe neither. Jason just let the thought drift away. He smiled and without a word, he placed his arm around Piper’s shoulders and pulled her closer to him causing for Piper’s face to dive straight towards his chest. She felt her heart did a relay race (she got that idea from Percy and Annabeth) and a sudden flushing and her cheeks redden. She just wished Jason wouldn’t see her face right now.

She quickly pulled away from Jason’s arms and got to her feet.“I…I got to go. I…I have to tell my cabin to clean up for the, um, inspection.”She stuttered and without waiting for Jason’s response, Piper sprinted off.

~ ~ ~

She felt hot fresh tears trail down her cheeks as she finished telling the story to Annabeth. She wiped her tears away and spoke: “I thought I moved on and…Annabeth, I’m pretty sure – positively, a hundred and one percent sure – that Jason is just my best friend.” She said.

Annabeth rubbed her back for comfort as she blurted out solacing words. Piper gazed at her friend and smiled. “I always knew Jason had that effect on me. I used to not know what it was but now, I suddenly realize that…it has always been his blue eyes that always bring me back to him. I just couldn’t resist those eyes.”

Before Annabeth’s words slip out of her lips, Percy Jackson stood in front of the two ladies, sympathizing Piper. “Oh, mygods Piper! Why are you crying?” he asked.

Piper shook her head. “Don’t mind me Percy. I’m fine. It’s just…my Dad, but…anyway, what’s up?” she responded.

“Oh yeah, Jason’s looking for you.” Percy said.

Piper and Annabeth glanced at each other. “Oh.”

“Piper!” Annabeth called. “Was it just me or Drew just had a change of heart and invited you to a girls day out?”

Piper didn’t know what to say. She knew what Annabeth said was a lie but she decided to just ride along. She nodded at Percy and smiled. “Oh yeah, Drew and I are having a girls day…now. So can you tell Jason I’m busy?” Piper said.

Percy just gave her a nod in response. He pecked Annabeth on the lips before heading out to train. Annabeth watched Percy until he was out of her sight.

“Thank you…for what you did. You understand me so much that you have to lie to—“ Piper knew how Annabeth hates lying to Percy.

“Piper, we’re friends – best friends – it’s normal for me to do that.” Annabeth said.

Piper smiled. “Thank you.”

~ ~ ~

Piper just waved goodbye to the camp’s Oracle, Rachel Elizabeth Dare. She was on her way to archery class when she heard footsteps behind her. She reached for her dagger and turned around only to see Jupiter’s son, Jason. She released her grip on her dagger.

“Hey, uh, Piper.” Jason said.

“What’s up?” she asked.

“I just want to ask you this: do you feel anything right now?”Jason asked.

Piper’s heart began to flutter. “What do you mean?”

“Like, do you feel anything between Reyna and I? Like are we really meant for each other? I know you told me that you just sort of feel it when…when it’s there.” Jason explained.

Piper took this chance to feel something. She can feel something, like a magnet…between two people as if trying to tell her that this two should be together.

She nodded, causing for Jason to smirk.

“Really?” he asked.

She nodded once again. “You two are meant to be together. I know it because I felt it.”

Jason embraced her. “Thank you, Pipes. Thank you for everything. If it wasn’t for you, I might still be here watching Reyna from afar and daydream about us.” His face turned pink. “If it wasn’t for you, I might not have the big dope to kiss her. We’re happy together, Piper. And it’s all because of you.”

Piper pulled away from the on-going hug, trying her best to not let her tears spill.

As Jason left, she allowed her tears to fall down. Sitting down on the grass, she buried her face in her hands. She lied. She just lied to her best friend. The magnetic feeling she felt in her gut wasn’t between Reyna and Jason. She felt it between Jason and her.

~ ~ ~

Instead of Drew, Piper had a girls day with Annabeth, Thalia, Hazel and Rachel.

“Do you think what I did was the right thing?” Piper asked out of the blue. She was sitting cross-legged on her bunk, clutching Sparky the teddy bear close to her chest.

Everyone stopped with what they were doing. Thalia, who finally convinced Annabeth to let her paint her nails (Annabeth finally agreed insisting that her nails has to be painted with a sea green colored nail polish), glanced at Piper. Hazel who had been experimenting with her hair dropped the brush and turned to Piper. And Rachel who’s been busy rummaging through Piper’s unused branded clothes turned as well.

There’d been a moment of silence until Annabeth broke the ice. “What exactly did you do, Piper?” she asked.

“Well, being the Daughter of Aphrodite, I know when two people are meant for each other. Jason knew about it and this morning, after I had that talk with Rachel, he came up to me and ask me if I can feel if he and Reyna are meant for each other.” She explained.

“And?” Hazel asked obviously hungry for more details.

“I told him that I felt it. I told him that Reyna and him are meant to be.” Piper answered.

Thalia’s eyebrows met in confusion. “So,what’s with the asking if you did the right thing?” she asked.

“I lied. I lied to Jason. I told him that I knew that Reyna and him are meant to be together because I felt it. But…what I felt isn’t something between him and Reyna. I felt it between us.” Piper explained.

“Really?” Hazel asked in disbelief.

“Aw, I’m sorry. My brother can be so naïve sometimes.” Thalia said.

“Do you know what I think you should do?” Rachel asked.

“What?” Piper questioned.

“I think…you should tell him the truth. Tell him that what you felt was something between the two of you.” Rachel replied.

“Yeah,” Annabeth agreed.

“You definitely should.” Hazel added.

“But, guys! The guy already has a freaking girlfriend! And I’m the reason why he got one. I can’t also be the reason why they have to…to…oh, I don’t know.” Piper broke down, throwing Sparky the teddy bear on the floor.

“Piper, trust me – us – we promise you, we’ll be there for you when our plan backfired.” Thalia said.

“I-I’m not sure…with this…plan—“

“Oh but we are!” Annabeth cut off.

“Piper you have to do this! This is your chance. Yes, Jason has a girlfriend and they’ve only been together for how long? Two days, McLean, two days! It might not be too late!” Hazel said.

“Are you sure guys? Do you think there’s still a chance?” Piper asked her friends.

“You said so yourself, Piper. You felt it. You and Jason are meant to be together. Aphrodite says so too.” Annabeth answered.

“B-but how will I start? I don’t even know where Jason is. What if he’s with Reyna?” Piper panicked.

“Oh believe me, he’s not with Reyna. He’s at the beach…again. He’s alone. You might want to keep him company.” Thalia said.

“Thanks guys, I really appreciate every little thing you do for me.” Piper said and with that, she headed out the door. Thalia, Annabeth, Hazel and Rachel high-fived each other and followed Piper out.

~ ~ ~

He picked up a tiny rock in the sand and threw it carelessly on the ocean. He wanted to talk to Piper after what happened between them this morning. He wanted to ask Piper why she just took off like that. As he threw another rock on the ocean, a girl’s voice rang in his ears.

“It’s a good thing Percy’s dad isn’t in a bad mood today. He could’ve splashed you with ice cold water just for throwing rock in his territory.”

He turned around and met the face of Piper McLean. “I thought you were having a girls day with Drew?” Jason asked.

Piper tensed. “Right…um, about that. I wasn’t really having a girls day with Drew. Never in my whole life, not even once in a blue moon would that happen. I was actually trying to avoid you.”

Jason was taken aback. “Piper, what did I do? Why are you trying to avoid me?” he asked calmly.

“Because of what I told you before I took off this morning.” Piper replied.

Jason shook his head. “I-I don’t understand. Piper, what are you trying to imply?” he asked.

“Jason, I-I…”

~ ~ ~

Thalia, Annabeth, Hazel and Rachel hid behind the bushes near the beach and the spot where Jason and Piper were. By the look on Piper’s face, she’s already doing the plan. She’s finally confessing.

Just then, Hazel noticed a certain black-haired lady walking towards the beach frantically looking around for someone…most probably Jason. Hazel tapped Thalia in her shoulder and pointed towards Reyna.

“Are you serious? Really, Reyna, you have to be here when Piper’s finally having her moment with Jason?” Annabeth whispered.

Thalia went out of the bushes and ran towards Reyna. “Hey,” she greeted.

Reyna flashed a smile. “Hey Thalia, have you seen Jason?” she asked.

“Oh my little brother? Yeah, I’ve seen him. He went that way.” Thalia pointed towards the opposite side of the camp, far from Jason and Piper.

“Thanks, see you!” Reyna said then made her way to where Thalia said where Jason was.

Thalia went back behind the bushes. “So, what did I miss?” she asked. Nobody dared to answer. Thalia doesn’t know why but when she turned to look at Jason and Piper, she finally understood why nobody answered her. Thalia then found herself at loss for words as well.


~ ~ ~

“Piper, tell me.” Jason begged.

“Jason, I lied, okay? I lied. I lied to you because I wanted you to be happy. I thought that by telling you that I felt it, that you and Reyna are meant for each other, I thought it’d make you happy. And it did.” Piper said.

Jason was literally confused. “What do you mean, Piper?” he asked.

Piper shoved him. “You, I thought I was over you. I looked to you only as my best friend but when you asked for my help with Reyna, I don’t know but it just happened. I looked at you differently. I wasn’t expecting to feel this way, Jason. It just sort of happened!” Piper now had tears in her eyes.

Jason didn’t say a word.

“I felt something, Jason! That magnetic feeling that I felt, I didn’t feel it between you and Reyna, I felt it between us!” Piper exclaimed.

Yet, he was still speechless.

“I-love-you-Jason-Grace-you-Son-of-Jupier-I-love-you-so-much-that-it-hurts-seeing-you-with-Reyna!” Piper shoved him with every word she said.

Jason grabbed her wrists and pulled her in a hug. Piper kept hitting him on the chest muttering: “I love you, don’t you know that? I love you, I love you, and I love you.”

“Shh,” Jason whispered as he stroke Piper’s hair.

Piper pulled away from Jason’s embrace. “And now I realized how stupid I was for even helping you with Reyna.”

“Piper…” Jason said.

“Now that you have a girlfriend, I guess there’s no use for loving you anymore.”

“Piper…”

“Jason, no—“

Jason’s lips melting onto hers cut off Piper mid-sentence. A tear escaped as Jason continues to kiss her. She wasn’t kissing back. She knew it was wrong. She knew that what they were doing was cheating.

After Jason pulled away, all Piper could see was pain and hurt in that adorable blue orbs of his. “Why didn't you kiss me back?” he asked.

Piper shook her head. “It’s wrong Jason. You’re cheating on Reyna.”

“Soon, I won’t be.” Jason said.

Piper’s head shot up. “What?” she asked.

“You could’ve told me earlier. All I’ve ever wanted was for you to say those three words and I’m officially done with Reyna.” Jason answered.

“What?” she asked once again. “But, what’s with the help—“

"I thought that by asking you to help me with Reyna, you'd finally fess up. I was kind of hoping you'd stop me or something." Jason said. "But you didn't."

"Because I thought you love Reyna!"

“Piper, I love you. You are the one Piper. I may have not be a child of Aphrodite but I felt it too,” he replied. “I just don’t know how to say it to you.”

Piper beamed. She leaned in for another kiss.

After helping demigods with their love life and helping hem with finding their match, the camp’s matchmaker had finally found her perfect match.

No comments:

Post a Comment