Thursday, December 27, 2012

#29: Stereo Hearts

An Austin Moon and Ally Dawson song-shot


~

I never really wanted to go to this dance in the first place. First of all, I am not used to going to dances or parties. Second, I don’t know how to dance and since I went to an event that required dancing, I have no choice but to do it. And third, I have no one to go with. I am date-less. But there’s one reason why I came: Austin Moon is coming and rumor has it that he has no date. Apparently, if he finds out I’m date-less, he’ll ask me to his date. Hopefully.

My best friend Trish tagged me along with her because her date, Trent won’t be able to pick her up and she needs a ride. Which I bet you can already tell is I.

As Trish and I walked inside the venue, I panicked because I see people dancing with their dates and here I am with no date. I probably will look stupid dancing alone later when it’s time for me to dance.

“Oh there’s Trent! See you later, Ally!” Trish waved goodbye as she made her way through the crowd to go to her date.

I waved goodbye still even though her back is on me now and she wouldn’t see me waving. I couldn’t move from where I stood. I don’t know where to go. Trish is the only one I know in this dance and I just don’t want to ruin her night with Trent by being a third wheel and going wherever she goes.





The music then changes to a slow love song and everyone started pairing up. I saw Trent guiding Trish to the dance floor and my eyes widen when I saw Weird Dez. Heck, even he has a date. Of course, he would have one. He’s one of Austin Moon’s friends! Am I really that big of a loser?

I was just standing awkwardly in the middle of those people slow dancing so I did the first thing that came to my mind: find a bathroom and go hide. My eyes scan the venue and the nearest bathroom caught my eye. I ran towards that direction and when I got there, I opened the door and closed it shut once I was inside.

“Phew!” I let out a sigh of relief.

After leaning on the door for another minute, I glanced down at my dress and I noticed how sweaty I’ve become. I immediately fixed myself up. I went for the mirror and as I tried to retouch my makeup, I heard flushing. Someone is inside the bathroom.

I watched as the door opened and I sighed as I realized it was only Cassidy.
She was as surprised as I am when she saw me. “Ally? What are you doing here?” she asked.

“Trish brought me with her just so she can have a ride to the dance. I don’t have a date so I wasn’t planning to go. Now everyone’s slow dancing outside and it just feel so awkward.” I explained.

“I don’t have a date either.” Cassidy said.

I stared at her in disbelief. “Wow. Cassidy date-less? How did that happen? Last time I checked, everyone wants to be your date.” I said.

“Actually I do have a date but he bailed on me.” Cassidy replied.

“I’m sorry to hear that.”

“Don’t be.”

There was silence after that. I didn’t know what to say, so as Cassidy. Her eyes fluttered over to my makeup kit and smiled. “You need help with that?” she asked.

My mouth opened but I closed it again. “I think I do, actually.” I answered.

Cassidy smiled. “Well, you’ve got the right girl. Makeup is my expertise.” She said.

“Thanks.”

In the middle of Cassidy applying eye shadow onto my eyelids, I broke the silence. “Cassidy?”

“Yeah?”

“You’re friends with Austin Moon, right?” I asked.

“Why, do you like him?” Cassidy asked.

“Maybe.” I blurted out. “Oops, wasn’t supposed to give that much information!”

Cassidy laughed. “It’s okay, Ally. Your secret is safe with me.”

“Do you know if he has a date?” I asked.

“Rumor has it, he doesn’t, but he does. She backed out at the last minute, saying her dress wouldn’t cooperate with her. She doesn’t want to attend this stupid dance with an ugly dress.” Cassidy said.

“Kira Starr?” I asked.

“Yep. That’s the one.”

“But she’s Miss Perfection. Everything has to be perfect for her.” I said.

“That’s why she didn’t go with Austin. Her dress wasn’t perfect enough. And guess what happened?”

“What?”

“Austin got mad and he broke up with her. Just because of a stupid dress.” Cassidy blurted out.

“Wow. That’s so messed up.”

Just as Cassidy finished with my makeup, the music outside the bathroom changed back into pop songs. Cassidy and I took this as a sign to go back outside and join the others.

“We should do a song.” Cassidy suggested.

“A song? Like us singing together? Right now? In front of everybody especially Austin Moon?” I asked her in disbelief.

“Wait. Don’t tell me you have stage fright.” Cassidy said.

“Well, I used to have but I don’t have it anymore.” I answered.

“Good. I know a perfect song we could sing. It’s Austin’s favorite and I bet you can make him fall for you once you sing it in front of him.” Cassidy said before taking my hand and guided me towards the DJ booth.

Cassidy walked up the booth and whispered the song to the DJ. The music started playing and Cassidy and I clapped to get everyone’s attention.

My heart's a stereo
It beats for you so listen close
Hear my thoughts in every no-o-ote
Make me your radio (yeah)
And turn me up when you feel low (turn it up a little bit)
This melody was meant for you (right there)
Just sing along to my stereo

As Austin Moon’s group of friends turned around to watch us, I started rapping.

If I was just another dusty record on the shelf (ooh)
Would you blow me off and play me like everybody else
If I asked you to scratch my back, could you manage that? (ooh)
Like read it well, check it Ally, I can handle that
Furthermore, I apologize for any skipping tracks (ooh)
It's just the last girl that played me left a couple cracks
I used to, used to, used to, now I'm over that (oh yeah)
'Cause holding grudges over love is ancient artifacts

I noticed Austin whispering something to his friends and I was kind of hoping it was somewhere along the lines of: “I didn’t know she could rap. I like her! I’m going to ask her out!” But maybe that’s not what really said.

Then Cassidy took me by the hand and we climb up a table and she started singing her part.

If I could only find a note to make you understand
I'd sing it softly in your ear and grab you by the hand

I started singing once again as I glanced over at Austin’s table and I couldn’t help but smile when I saw that he was smiling and bobbing his head up and down to the beat of the music.

Just keep it stuck inside your head, like your favorite tune
And know my heart's a stereo that only plays for you (oh whoa)

Cassidy and I jumped off the table and we sang the chorus together. We then parted ways as we went around that certain area at the dance floor, continuously singing.

My heart's a stereo
It beats for you, so listen close
Hear my thoughts in every no-o-ote (yeah, yeah, yeah, come on)
Make me your radio
Turn me up when you feel low
This melody was meant for you
Just sing along to my stereo

Oh, oh, oh, oh
To my stereo
Oh, oh, oh, oh
So sing along to my stereo

I stood at the table in front of Austin’s table as I started to rap once again.

Let's go!
If I was an old school fifty pound boom box (remember them?)
Would you hold me on your shoulder wherever you walk?
Would you turn my volume up in front of the cops? (turn it up!)
And crank it higher every time they told you to stop (yeah!)
And all I ask is that you don't get mad at me (hey)
When you have to purchase mad D batteries (oh)
Appreciate every mix tape your friends make
You never know we come and go like we're on the interstate

Dez held out his hand for me to hold, as I was about to go down from the table. I took it and I jumped gently. I heard Cassidy singing her part again. It’s funny how we just came up with our parts on the spot.

I think I finally found a note to make you understand
If you can hit it, sing along and take me by the hands

I circled the table of Austin Moon as I sang my part and surprisingly and unexpectedly, his group of singing friends joined in with Cassidy and I. Austin took my hand and led me in front in the center of the dance floor.

Keep me stuck inside your head, like your favorite tune
You know my heart's a stereo that only plays for you (ooh)

My heart's a stereo (ooh)
It beats for you so listen close (listen)
Hear my thoughts in every no-o-ote (oh oh)
Make me your radio (come on)
Turn me up when you feel low (turn it up!)
This melody was meant for you 
Just sing along to my stereo (the good life)

Oh, oh, oh, oh (yeah, ha-ha)
To my stereo
Oh, oh, oh, oh
So sing along to my stereo

Austin took both my hands and stared intently into my brown orbs as he decided to sing the bridge of the song.

I only pray you'll never leave me behind (never leave me)
Because good music can be so hard to find (so hard to find)
I take your hand and hold it closer to mine (yeah, yeah)
Thought love was dead, but now you're changing my mind 

The rest of his friends sand the second voices and some of them started harmonizing with Austin. Cassidy harmonized as well. The seven of us sang the rest of the song together as we went dancing around the dance floor. I didn’t even realize I was dancing with a little help from Austin and his awesome dancing skills.

My heart's a stereo (yeah)
It beats for you so listen close 
Hear my thoughts in every no-o-ote (you gotta make me your radio)
Make me your radio 
Turn me up when you feel low 
This melody was meant for you (yeah, yeah)
Just sing along to my stereo (yeah)

Oh, oh, oh, oh 
To my stereo (oh yeah)
Oh, oh, oh, oh (my radio)
So sing along to my stereo 

“Yeah,” Austin sang at the end.

As the song ended, we hugged each other as the audience applauded and whistled at us. I was so happy with how this night turned out. Thanks to Cassidy, of course and to Trish as well for bringing me to this dance. The hugging died down and we were just standing there, smiling at the audience when I noticed Austin standing beside me and he slowly reached for my hand.

I looked down at our hands and smiled. I pretended that it was no big deal and just smiled at the crowd again.

~ ~ ~

Trish and I were preparing to leave the venue. We were only waiting for Trent who was still busy chatting away with his friends.

“You were so amazing Ally! I didn’t know you could rap.” Trish commented.

I blushed and looked down at my feet. “Thanks, Trish.”

I felt her nudge me and when I looked up, Cassidy and Austin were standing in front of me. Trish stood up and told me she’ll go get Trent. I nodded at her and she left, leaving me alone with these two people.

“Ally that was awesome!” Cassidy said as she gave me a hug once again. “I couldn’t believe we actually did that.”

“I didn’t know you could rap.” Austin said. I mentally laughed because I was right with what I said earlier, about what could Austin be saying to his friends when I first started rapping during the song.

I did a small flick of my hair. “Yeah, that’s one of my hidden talents.” I said with a tiny giggle.

“Well you gotta show me some of your hidden talents soon because we’re gonna be spending a lot of time together.” Austin said with a wink.

“What?” I asked but Austin already left, leaving Cassidy behind.

Cassidy gave me a pat on the shoulder. “He just asked you out.” And with that, she left.

~ ~ ~

Important note:
  • Ally = Bold
  • Cassidy = Italics
  • Both = Bold and Italics
  • Austin = Underlined
  • All of them = Bold, Italics and Underlined

No comments:

Post a Comment