Friday, August 3, 2012

#9: Next to You

A James Reid and Fretzie Bercede song-shot


~ ~ ~

“Everybody, please calm down!” Mr. Cruz yelled as he entered the room and saw the whole Music class started to go wild; papers flying everywhere, pencils as well, non-stop shouting and occasional cursing coming from the students’ dirty mouths, and chairs had also been jumbled up and not aligned.
Hearing the teacher’s familiar squeaky voice, the class stopped whatever they were doing and turned to look at the teacher, who’s already settled down and staring at the whole class from his oak desk.
“Since you’re all so noisy and childish when I walked in the room, I’ve got a big project for all of you.” Mr. Cruz announced.
“Whaaaat?” all the students complained at the same time.
“Yes, I am serious. Do I look like I’m not serious?” Mr. Cruz asked as he pointed at his face.
The group of boys from the back snickered at the teacher. “Yes, if you don’t have a face of a clown.” Ivan Dorschner whispered to his friends, causing for them to laugh louder catching the teacher’s attention.
“Ivan, James, Patrick; care to share what’s funny?” Mr. Cruz asked.
James was the one who spoke up. Everybody knew their Music teacher is gay and he loves to play around with boys especially in this class. James’s friends also knew how the teacher secretly loves his Australian accent. “Nothing, sir.” James said making sure his accent is strong and loud.
Mr. Cruz softened a bit. “I’ll let it pass…this time only.” He spoke.
And it caused for James’s circle of friends to chuckle.
Mr. Cruz stood up and started walking around the class. “As I was saying, the project requires creativity and, of course, music. In one week, starting from now on, you’ll be writing your own song and on Monday, next week’s Monday, each and everyone of you will have to perform it.” Mr. Cruz announced.


~ ~ ~
Tricia Santos, the latest student who performed her song, stood up from the stool and bowed as everyone gave her a round of applause.
“Next is…” Mr. Cruz said, eyeing every student in the class before his eyes found its target. “Mr. Reid. It’s your turn.”
James sighed. He threw a joke one last time at his friends before making his way to the corner of the room and snatched a guitar. He sat at the same stool Tricia sat moments ago.
“Okay, this song is called Next to You. I accidentally wrote it as a duet song but I’ll try my best to sing both parts. I hope you guys would like it.” James said before strumming his guitar.
Mr. Cruz stopped him. “Mr. Reid, I believe you haven’t told us your inspiration to this song yet.”
James scratched the back of his head. “Oh, I haven’t?” he asked.
Mr. Cruz nodded his head in response.
“This song is inspired by a girl I’ve had my eyes set on for quite a while already…” James said, looking straight at what he believed is the most beautiful girl he’d ever laid his eyes on. “I get to hang-out with her every once in a while and every time I get home after we spend a day together, alone or with a group, I fall in love with her even more.”
Mr. Cruz looked around the room to try to see whom James is staring at. But he failed.
“And I hope,” James continued, still keeping his eyes locked on the girl sitting in the corner, in front of Ivan and Patrick, “even though she has no idea it’s her that I’m talking about, she’ll know that the lyrics to this song are the words that I’m afraid to say to her face-to-face.”
“So please…listen carefully.” James said for the last time before he started strumming his guitar.
You've got that smile
That only heaven can make
I pray to God everyday
That you keep that smile

Yeah
You are my dream
There's not a thing I won't do
I'd give my life up for you
Cause you are my dream

And baby everything that I have is yours
You will never go cold or hungry
I'll be there when you're insecure
Let you know that you're always lovely
Girl, cause you are the only thing that I got right now

One day when the sky is falling
I'll be standing right next to you
Right next to you
Nothing will ever come between us
Cause I'll be standing right next to you
Right next to you

If you had my child
You would make my life complete
Just to have your eyes on a little me
That'd be mine forever


And baby everything that I have is yours
You will never go cold or hungry
I'll be there when you're insecure
Let you know that you're always lovely
Girl, cause you are the only thing that I got right now

One day when the sky is falling
I'll be standing right next to you
Right next to you
Nothing will ever come between us
Cause I'll be standing right next to you
Right next to you

We're made for one another
Me and you
And I have no fear
I know we'll make it through


One day when the sky is falling
I'll be standing right next to you
Ohh ohh ohh ohhhhh

One day when the sky is falling
I'll be standing right next to you
Right next to you
Nothing will ever come between us
Cause I'll be standing right next to you
Right next to you

Oh na na
Oh yeah
Stand by my side
When the sky falls down
I'll be there
I'll be there


You've got that smile
That only heaven can make
I pray to God everyday
To keep your forever


~ ~ ~
Music class just ended and Ivan and Patrick already sprinted towards their next class and left James in the Music room. Mr. Cruz already left as well. He thought he was alone when suddenly a voice spoke.
“That was a great song.” A girl’s voice spoke.
James’s head shot up and there she was, standing in front of him, looking like an angel with a binder and a few books in hand.
“Fretzie…” he blurted out.
“I-I should go, I’ll be late for my next class.” Fretzie said as she made her way towards the exit located at the back of the room.
When Fretzie was halfway out, James called her. “You do realize that song was for you.” He said.
Fretzie smiled at him. “I knew all along.”

No comments:

Post a Comment