Sunday, March 10, 2013

#33: Jet Lag

An Austin Moon and Ally Dawson song-shot


~ ~ ~

It has been a month since Ally went to London with her mom. Ever since her mom came back from Africa, I hardly ever see her. I understand that they need a lot of catching up and I know for a fact that if Ally has to choose, she would pick her mom over me. It's been lonely at Sonic Boom. Sometimes I don't go there anymore because what's the point of going there when the reason that you came wasn't there? It just doesn't make sense. I know Ally's coming back in less than a month but I can't hardly wait. I just want her here and now and just have the time to spend with her.

Opening my laptop to listen to some tunes Ally and I recorded before she went on a vacation, I noticed that she was online and her status read that she was alone in her hotel room because her "mom was out grabbing some stuff" that I bet she doesn't want Ally to know what it is.

Without any hesitation, I called her and asked her to have a video chat with me. My heart quickens and my cheeks turned the shade of red as soon as Ally's gorgeous face appeared on my screen. I couldn't be any happier at the moment.



"Hey Ally." I greeted.

"Hey Austin, what's up?" She asked me.

I gave her a shrug. "Nothing much. It's lonely without you." I pouted at her.

She smiled, followed by a giggle. "I just want to pinch your cheeks right now. You're so adorable!" She said.

"Aww.."

"So how's Trish and Dez?" Ally asked.

"They're...uh...miraculously getting along pretty well, I guess." I answered.

Ally's eyes suddenly went wide and her mouth formed a huge letter O. "I feel sorry for you, Austin. You're living a nightmare right now." She joked.

I laughed at her. "Yeah. It is a nightmare. I mean, you're used to seeing them always fighting and now, they're getting along pretty well. They would always do jobs together and--"

"Wait, hold up. Jobs? They're doing jobs together?" Ally interrupted me.

I nodded. "I guess they are. A lot of things can happen in one month, Ally. And there are a lot more things that can happen next month."

Ally sighed. "Aww, I'll be home sooner than you think."

I didn't know what to say after that. I just stared at Ally and while I'm at it, an idea popped in my head. And I literally jumped from my seat. "Hold on a sec."

"Okay."

I ran towards the piano in Ally's practice room and grabbed the guitar that was placed in a rack beside it. I made my way back towards the chair and adjusted the camera on my laptop so that Ally could see my clearly.

"Austin? What are you doing?"Ally asked as she stifled a yawn. London was hours ahead of the United States and I'm guessing that since it's 3:38 pm here in Miami, it would be somewhere around 9:40 pm in London. And Ally usually sleeps at around 10pm unless we're having an all-nighter.

"Before you go to sleep, I want you to hear something." I said and I placed my fingers on the first few chords, ready to play her the song. "I wrote this song for us. I was about to show it to you once you get home but I just couldn't wait."

Ally giggled one more time before resting her chin on her palm, with her feet hanging in the air behind her. She was lying on her stomach in the bed and when she does that, I know for a fact that anytime soon, she's gonna be dozing off that's why I need to let her hear this song pretty fast.

"Oh and one more thing, it's a duet so bear with me if I can't sing both parts and it's not finished yet so when you get back...will you help me finish it?" I asked.

Ally's smile widen. "Of course, I'd love to. But first, let's hear the song."

"Okay." I started the playing the chords and I glanced one more time at Ally before looking down at the lyrics written on the notebook that was resting on the table next to my laptop.

What time is it where you are?
I miss you more than anything
Back at home you feel so far
Waiting for the phone to ring

It's getting lonely living upside down
I don't even wanna be in this town
Trying to figure out the time zone's making me crazy

You say good morning
When it's midnight
Going out of my head
Alone in this bed
I wake up to your sunset
And it's driving me mad
I miss you so bad
And my heart, heart, heart is so jet lagged
Heart, heart, heart is so jet lagged
Heart, heart, heart is so jet lagged

I stopped playing the guitar because that's how far as I have gone to the song. There wasn't a second verse yet and as hard as I try to come up with good lyrics, words just won't come to me. "That's how far as I am." I said with a smile.

Ally kept on nodding. "I like it. I like the words and the melody."

I watched as she propped her elbows and helped herself up into a sitting position. "Keep playing." She instructed me and I followed. I kept on watching her as her eyebrows met in thought. After a few minutes, she smiles and then told me to keep on playing the chords of the first verse.

"I think I got this." She said and then she started singing.

What time is it where you are?
Five more days and I'll be home
I keep your picture in my car
I hate the thought of you alone

I've been keeping busy all the time
Just to try to keep you off my mind
Trying to figure out the time zone's making me crazy

I liked the words Ally added to the song. She gave the song the point of view of the girl, making it look more like a duet. We sang the chorus together, with Ally easily picking up on the words. I love how she can just make up words on the spot and can easily remember the melody and the lyrics of the song. She's just so natural.

You say good morning
When it's midnight
Going out of my head
Alone in this bed
I wake up to your sunset
And it's driving me mad
I miss you so bad
And my heart, heart, heart is so jet lagged
Heart, heart, heart is so jet lagged
Heart, heart, heart is so jet lagged

I started playing with the chords until I found some that would fit with the song. I stopped singing since I don't know what to sing now. I just allowed Ally to take over the rest of the song.

I miss you so bad
I miss you so bad
I miss you so bad
I miss you so bad
I miss you so bad

I wanna share your horizon
And see the same sun rising
I miss you so bad
Turn the hour hand back to when you were holding me

You say good morning
When it's midnight
Going out of my head
Alone in this bed
I wake up to your sunset
And it's driving me mad
I miss when you say good morning
But it's midnight
Going out of my head
Alone in this bed
I wake up to your sunset
And it's driving me mad
I miss you so bad
And my heart, heart, heart is so jet lagged
Heart, heart, heart is so jet lagged
Heart, heart, heart is so jet lagged

We finished the song and I smiled in contentment. It was really a beautiful song and it even turned into something more when Ally helped finish the song.

"I hope you kept track of the words." I said.

"Oh I did." She said, pointing up to her temple. "I got it all stored up here."

I laughed at her. I saw her yawning once again and I told her that maybe it's time for her to head to bed. Her eyes looked so heavy and her voice grew softer and softer every minute we're talking. After hesitating, I finally convinced her that it's okay that she's going to bed. I thanked her for helping me with the song and she smiled once again.

"I can't wait to record that song." She said before finally closing her eyes.

I watched her sleep for a moment before I heard her hotel room door's opening and in came Mrs. Dawson. I waved goodbye to Ally even though I know she wouldn't see and I ended the call.

One more month and she's finally home again...

No comments:

Post a Comment